Tuesday 2 September 2014

Workshop on rolling out the first prototype for testing. 27 August 2014

So today was the initial role out of my first prototype. A very exciting day to say the least because this would mean that the farmers can literally see how the pump would work. So for my first prototype my initial idea was to design a manual pump to just show them the way in which the system would work. So mainly the pump configuration. The pump configuration that I went with was a low cost Diaphragm pump made out of plumbing supplies and DIY one way valves. The one way valves are crucial in the design as it forms part of the basis on which the pump works. I made the one way valves also known as non return valves out of electrical conduit some marbles and o-rings. I rather made it myself because the non return valves at the shops are very expensive almost R200 a pop. I figured that I could make it from everyday materials for less, and it was a lot less, it was R5 a valve not to bad if I say so myself.

These low cost valves would work perfectly for the farmers because say for instance the valves break (or something) the parts will be readily available at a local hardware shop and the farmers could then fix them easily. It also means they don't have to invest in the high priced valves where the low cost valves work just as great for less than 10 percent of the high priced valves.

The whole of the pump I valued at R55 for manufacturing this is by using standard parts which could be purchased at local hardware and plumbing warehouses. This low cost price makes it attractive for the purpose of the pump being used by farmers in Soweto (with little income). This pump is also efficient I did some test and it pumps about 18 litres per minute. Which is a reasonable amount as vegetable gardens according to some sites I looked at only need about 25 mm of water, and for some vegetable more like pumpkin and carrots. The Vegetable patches takes up about 780 cubic metres of land which by my calculation needs about roughly 20 litres of water, now this may differ as in summer time the vegetable would have to be watered twice a day for better growing and security. So in terms of the pump being efficient I think that it definitely ticks the box.

The pump was tested by using the municipal outlet it was attached on the one end of the pump acting as the submersible end. The farmer then manually pumped the handle up and down and water came rushing out of the outlet. This was a relieve as it was the first time I tested it as well I knew that it would work in theory but it definitely came as a surprise seeing that the pump worked. The farmers were also delighted I could see that by their smiles.


I also showed the farmers some of the further concepts I've done where I designed the pump to work with a windmill configuration they where delighted by the idea. The manual pump is good and all and for the experiment worked perfectly, but I think that if the water can be pumped automatically without them having to interact with the pump would leave them with more time to tend to their vegetables patches and work related. The farmers did inform me that theft is high in the area, one of the farmer told me that only the other day there was a break in where they stole tablets etc. from the school. Bearing that in mind I designed the windmill to be able to detach from the pump and fold up (almost like an umbrella) to be carried easily and stored without taking up a lot of space.


Next meeting at Lakeview primary will be at the 17 of Spetember to get feedback on our first concepts, watch this space!!

No comments:

Post a Comment