Sunday 24 August 2014


Well this is my first time blogging, Lets go!! 13 August 2014

For my final project of my studies I decided to design a pump for Urban farmers in Soweto. Lake view primary school is ground zero for my project what a serene place right next to the Klipriver beautiful part of Soweto. Some background on the school is that the school only operates by means of donations. Most of the children at the school does not come from much which means that their families does not necessarily have the means to send their children to school but in this school they don't have to pay school fees  , what an awesome initiative. I found the school to be a very good environment for learning. The class rooms where kitted out which I think in my opinion is a good platform for the children to learn in.

Back to my project the urban farmers (or as they call themselves gardeners) do farm on the school grounds. They are currently growing spinach which they say is a good vegetable to grow in the winter. The farmers emphasized that they have found it difficult to farm in the winter and that their seedlings where the first to die in the cold weather. The vegetables that they produce does not get sold but rather given to the children and the farmers also take some vegetables for their families.

In terms of water the farmers use the municipal water at the school this tends to be a problem as the school now have to pay a hefty water bill each month. On the flip side the school has a borehole but the borehole has not been used for 2 years. This a great opportunity the the farmers can benefit from. Rather by using the borehole as water source it will result in a lowered water bill for the school and will leave them with a bit more money for other needs. The borehole pump is also shot which means that the water can not be pumped at all. This is where the design intervention can come into place. So the idea is to design a pump that will help the farmers to collect ''free'' water from the underground water source.

Today was also the day we chose to remove the old centrifugal water pump out of the borehole. What a mission. So the whole team pitched in to help my lecturer me and all the Development students but this wasn't even enough to get it out. We got the water pump out most of the way but the last 10 metres was merely impossible to get out. We struggled for about an hour and then we called it quits. I was trying to figure out a plan and then it hit me; when we drove into the school ground I saw a TLB huge Caterpillar. So i thought to myself this would work perfectly. One of the development students and I went to go speak to the guys standing at the TLB initially thinking that these guys are the operators of the machine. So we greeted them 'Sabona" told them we are struggling and would they help. Whilst talking to them I offered them cigarettes, thinking by myself this would be a nice gesture from me. The development student and one of the operators spoke and after that he told me that they need compensation. Luckily I had a R100 with me, so I asked them if they could help and they said yes.

To my surprise they did help an I gave them 50 bucks each. When the TLB got to the borehole we wove the cable pipe and rope in between the teeth of the bucket. He started lifting the bucket and there was movement I was happy. So we went on like this for a couple of lengths but there was a part where I could seriously see there was stress on the pipe. Eventually just when we though we were winning the pipe and cable broke off of the pump great. The rope was still attached but barely the rope was so thin and i know from previous experiences that a water pump packs some weight. But I was hoping the rope will hold and then all of a sudden snap the rope broke and the pump was gone.
 

In short the aim of my study is to design an off-grid pump for urban farmers in Soweto. It is also to provide the urban farmers with the knowledge to maintain the off-grid pump themselves with locally manufactured parts. The study is also aimed to educate urban farmers on water-saving irrigation techniques for farming.  

Next week a workshop and development of concepts will be shown to the farmers

No comments:

Post a Comment